As the Certified OBM Training Manager one of my many duties is to have conversations with potential Online Business Manager Trainees (for our Certification Program). Often I start this conversation with a simple question:
“What do you want to create and how do you feel becoming a Certified Online Business Manager can help you reach that goal?”
Interestingly enough after hundreds of conversations I am still amazed that most of the folks who end up becoming Certified Online Business Managers have the same answers:
- “I want to create a business that allows me to support business owners at an executive level.”
- “Where I can take my past experiences and combine them with my passion for (project management, team management, operations, business development etc…)”
- “I want to work WITH my clients on a thought partner level not FOR my clients simply fullfilling delegated tasks.”
- “I am tired of the dollar for hour trap that has me working with 8-12 VA clients to barely make enough money at the end of the month to pay my bills, instead I want to work with less clients that I can focus in on their businesses to support their vision at the highest level.”
Perhaps you can relate? It is obvious that the people who are ready to take this next step have a bit of a stirring going on within themselves. They are not always virtual assistants looking to work with clients at a higher level (although many are), but sometimes they are people who are currently working full time jobs but really want to break out on their own. Sometimes I talk with coaches who are really interested in the implementation side of business development or stay at home moms who really want an online business to support their decision to stay home and care for their kids while earning a great income. See the type of person who desires to become an Online Business Manager is very diverse however, the desire of those people is often very close to the same.
Ultimately folks who decide to become online business managers do so because they are passionate about business, serving at the highest level, and are comfortable making decisions at an executive level regardless of their background.
So my question to you today is:
Are you ready to become an Online Business Manager?
Here are couple of questions to consider:
- Do you get frustrated when you see there is a better way to do something but feel you have no authority to make the change within the process?
- Are you passionate about working with a team of people who all value each other and who you are able to mentor and lead to do even better work then they expected?
- Do you enjoy managing multiple projects at once, keeping all the balls in the air and being the go-to person on the team?
- Is business development something you are passionate about, enjoy learning about and implementing various tasks to do it more effectively?
- Does it annoy you when a project never gets completed, started but left hanging with no one really taking ownership of completing it?
If you answered 3 of the 5 questions above I really encourage you to check out this Free Video Series by Tina Forsyth, Author of Becoming an Online Business Manager and founder of the International Association of Online Business Managers as she shares exactly what an Online Business Manager does: http://www.OBMAcademy.com/freetraining
Do you have further questions if becoming an OBM is for you? Feel free to post a question below k?