I had someone ask me yesterday if I preferred Go Daddy vs. another domain registrar (whom I shan’t name). My answer was Go Daddy for sure! I have a few key reasons for this that I wanted to share, in case you are considering where to register your domains (or maybe thinking of moving to a new registrar).
- Their Discount Domain Club – for about $100 a year you can get 30%-50% savings on the cost of domains. Once you hit about 30 domains this becomes well worth it. And being that most of us collect domains like we collected baseball cards as kids (actually it was stickers for me) it doesn’t take long to hit the 30 domain mark.
- Auto Renew – I set my domains to auto-renew each year so I don’t have to go through the process of renewing a bunch each month. Surprisingly, not every registrar offers this!
- Domain Forwarding – you can set a domain to forward to another domain within Go Daddy, vs. having to setup hosting for the domain and setting it to forward there. Very handy for those domains that just need to point to an existing website.
- Can buy .ca names there now – as a Canadian this is GREAT! As it used to be that .ca names were only available via another registrar and were literally 5 times the price.
- Everything you need to setup a website – I personally don’t use their hosting and various other tools, but if you are new to setting up a website they do offer lots of options there too.
- Danica Patrick – yes, their commercials are a bit ‘bimbo & busty’ for my liking, but gotta love that they have a woman who is kicking butt in a man’s world as their spokesperson. 🙂
Is Go Daddy the only registrar to offer these things? Probably not, I don’t know much about other registrars but would recommend that you check for these features and any others important to you before making the decision. Although not impossible, once you do start with a domain registrar it is a bit of a pia to move all your domains later.