Original posting November 3, 2015
Of all the attributes I am looking for when hiring new team members, I have to admit being teachable or having a teachable spirit is likely at the top of the list. The reality is no one knows everything and there is always something to be learned, especially as it pertains to working as an Online Business Manager. The moment we stop being willing to be taught something new is the minute we stop being willing to grow. Growing is mandatory if you want to develop a business in this fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
Being teachable is at the core of every great OBM.
Understand you have something to learn from every person you interact with. It could be your client and all the processes and experiences they have had to figure out to get them where they are. It could be your team members, your clients – clients, or your coach. Regardless of ‘who’ is doing the teaching, an Online Business Manager understands the importance of being teachable and gleaning the wisdom of others.
5 Blocks to Overcome to be Teachable:
- Ego – our ego tells us we have to know everything to be valuable to others. This is a lie. You are valuable because of your character, not because of your knowledge. Knowledge will always be growing, changing, and evolving. Ego needs you to be the center of attention. What truly needs to be the center is the result you are attempting to create.
- Fear – when we get intimidated or fearful, we shut down our learning process. This is a very real issue when it comes to how we believe in our ability to grow and develop as an online business manager. Fear will rob you of opportunities to tackle new projects, systems, process, etc.; this will debilitate you as an OBM as well as limit your earning and growth potential.
- Over-Commitment – if you don’t have time to learn, you don’t have time to grow. When we over commit our schedules, we are always working from behind. When you need to learn something, it will always be what is in front of you… where you are going, not where you have been (obviously, you know where you have already been).
- Pride – when we become prideful, we do not believe we have anything to learn. I’m sure you have met the know-it-all folks, right? Those folks have no place as online business managers. You cannot have a ‘know-it-all’ mentality and really be a great OBM. There is something to be gleaned from every person in every situation, from every process, and from every technology. If we allow pride to set in, we essentially limit ourselves to whatever previous experiences we have had (and miss the opportunity for future revelations to make us better)
- Insecurity – this one might surprise you, but the reality is: if you don’t believe in YOU, there is a good chance you will struggle with being teachable. This could show up in how your internal dialogue sounds or what you have been told. Maybe you have experienced someone telling you that you are dumb, stupid, a failure, or even worse. These experiences install insecurities that can block your ability to believe you can learn new stuff.
Would love to discuss I AM TEACHABLE and any blocks you may experience as an OBM on our Facebook page here: http://www.Facebook.com/iaobm
Not completely sure what an OBM is or how they work? Check out our FREE OBM Starter Kit here: http://www.OnlineBusinessManager.com